Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Maytag Clothes Dryer stops with fault "PF"

 Our Maytag Clothes Dryer stops with fault "PF" after about 20 minutes.

(Model MED9600SQ0)

On line it said this "PF" fault is a Power Failure fault.

I checked the wall breaker and then read the voltage at the wall socket which read 244 vac which is good. When I inspected the power cable plug I found lots of contamination on the plug.



I used a Dremel tool to wire brush of the brass prongs until they were bright and shinny. The dryer now is running fine but will need some time to verify the fix. This may be the original dryer cable from 1978. I will consider a new cable. But I recognize new is not always better. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the rest of the story 2 months later. The dryer stopped again as before. The power cord plug is again discolored with a blackish material. The wall outlet look fine from the outside but I removed it anyway and found it was really overheated and burnt. I replaced both the outlet and the dryer power cord. (The old cord was very old but still looked in good shape.)

Original outlet looked fine on face.



Very burnt outlet. 



No comments:

Post a Comment