Friday, May 7, 2021

2013 Prius C passenger tail light assembly rebuild

 I notice dust inside our tail light assembly which caused cosmetic issues. It just looks bad. So I removed the two securing bolts and gently pried the assembly loose. Then disconnected the three or four plugs and also removed the one Phillip's screw holding the stop light led package and removed that package. 

I then washed the whole plastic tail light assembly pouring warm water from the faucet into the openings that the light plugs were attached and even added some soap. I then shook the assembly to wash out all the dust and then ran lots of water to clear out the soap. I did notice there was separation of the outside plastic from the inner grey plastic all along the seam of the assembly. I dried the inside using a small fan to blow across the assembly all night. 

To fix the seam I used clear shoe-goo. I then reassembled all which now looks almost new. 

Thinking back I remember water building up inside the tail light assembly so I had drilled a couple little 1/16 inch holes to drain the water. The water did drain but the real problem was the plastic seam had failed. Maybe now it is fixed? eBay or/and Amazon had a tail light assembly for about $85 then add shipping and tax. They also had one for $256. 


The shoe-goo can be seen along the long horizontal seam.




No comments:

Post a Comment