Monday, December 5, 2016

Screen cable replaced on laptop computer

Linda’s older Toshiba laptop had an intermittent dark screen which got worse as time wore on. By raising or lowering the screen the screen will light up at times. The internet had examples of this happening and indicated the screen cable was bad. So finally getting to Toshiba by phone they provided the part number for the new cable. And then after less than $15 through Ebay the new cable arrived.  

I do not like to take a laptop apart unless we believe the laptop to be dispensable. I did find a good video on how to take this one apart.
(Laptop model L355D; cable V000140130   Toshiba phone 1-800-331-4829)

I was able to dissemble this unit. One screw failed to remove and broke the metal insert from the plastic upon loosening the screw. But the remaining 20 screws removed properly. So I was able to remove the keyboard and then the whole top showing the motherboard. Then take apart the screen assembly. I did break out two screws near the hinge which I think was my fault of not removing them early enough. But I did get the new cable installed and all back together and it looks like it works perfect and opens and closes normally.


Maybe a few more years of operation?

No comments:

Post a Comment