Saturday, July 22, 2023

2006 Honda Odyssey minivan air conditioner failed.

 2006 Honda Odyssey minivan air conditioner failed. 

I checked the Freon pressure which was 92 psi, which is good. I noticed the AC compressor pump’s clutch was not engaging. Checked 3 related fuses all ok. In the fuse / relay box on the passenger side of the engine compartment by the firewall I swapped R1 Radiator Fan Relay with R4 the air compressor clutch relay and the air conditioner started working. I ordered two new relays from Amazon that took 3 days to get and replace the bad relay. ($10 for two relays.) 

I cut off the case of the bad relay and it appears to have worn out contacts. 

Unfortunately, I purchased a can of Freon with a hose attached along with an attached pressure gauge which, I suspect, is what Washington state requires. However, the Freon was not low so the Freon was not used.  

Great help watching YouTube videos. I took the picture below from a helpful video. 




Relay R4 with top cut off.


Contacts in the center of the relay are rough and dirty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment