Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Dodge Caravan Grand Sport 2000

It is hard to believe it is 14 years old. So it backfired a couple times and runs rough suddenly but not always notable rough. I looked up its history and noticed just a little over 30,000 miles ago I replaced the spark plugs wires and sparkplugs. Then observed on utube cases of timing chain repair. This car has 150,000 miles and seems like the timing chain may not be due yet. Then I saw a great utube about sparkplugs fouling due to excessive antiseize used during spark plug replacement. It mentioned many sparkplugs come with a coating to protect the threads even for their 100,000 mile life.

So looking into the Autolight plugs NAPA sold me year ago and now seeing the decal in the engine compartment recommending Champion plugs, (RN14PMP5) which appears to be equivalent to a Champion #7031, I thought new proper plugs might be the best way to go. The plug is a double platinum plug. $15 with no tax for six through Ebay with free shipping and $24 with tax at auto parts stores. Interesting enough the computer has no faults.

Then I started looking on how to get to the inside 3 plugs. Whew. Once before I loosened the intake manifold and moved it several inches to the side so I could replace the plugs and plug wires. Youtube showed removing the panel between the windshield and the hood. This panel houses the windshield wiper motor and arms. Looks like quite a job. The Service Manual says for plugs #3 and #5 to remove the resonator which is interesting as the only resonator in the index was an exhaust resonator at the end of the tailpipe which is not near the sparkplugs. Then remove the intake strut to cylinder head. Then to remove plug #1 just remove the accessory drive belt, remove the bolts to the upper half of the generator bracket and push generator rearward to provide access. Whew.

I was ready to go for the last method and observed I could not see plug #5 but could just touch the plug wire. Would you believe it was loose from the plug. I was able to snap it onto the plug. I took the Caravan for a 3 mile spin where the van ran perfectly. So that sort of freed up several hours of work. Lots of investigation and planning yet the fix was so simple.

I decided to de-moss the garage roof. That meant getting on the roof and sweeping the whole roof. 90% of the moss removed easily. Then came the baking soda application which kill any leftover moss. Costco sells big bags of baking soda at a reasonable price. Then came the gutter cleaning. Now all is ready for the rainy season.

No comments:

Post a Comment